Named after David Moffat, the Moffat Library took the formal dedication on April 25, 1887 and the Moffat Library Association was formed to establish a library and reading room, followed by bookcases and books. In 1994, the library was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The library was forced to close due to flooding from Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee in 2011 where it lay dormant for many years.
StandBack General Contracting, LLC was awarded the bid to complete the renovation and new additions in 2016. New brick was matched to the original and renovation and restoration of the original features were meticulously completed, including a refurbished clock tower. On September 16, 2017 the library reopened its doors for the first time since being flooded by Hurricane Irene. The building featured new additions, renovations and restorations of historical items such as its Tiffany glass windows, vaulted ceilings and clock tower.