Reverend John Keogh of Cornwall, NY built a small chapel in Washingtonville in 1872 and held mass it in each month. St. Mary’s was founded as its own parish in 1903, with Reverend John Tetreau as resident pastor. Thanks to the efforts of Reverend Tetreau, the church was expanded from a one room building into a “commodious rectory.” He included several additions including 40 carriage sheds for worshippers. The church had a magnificent pipe organ, comfortable seating, and was heated by steam. St. Mary’s is now the Catholic parish serving Washingtonville, New York as well as parts of Salisbury Mills, Campbell Hall, Monroe, Blooming Grove, Chester, and New Windsor. St. Mary’s needed more space for their growing parish, so they built a new one which has 10 classrooms and parish offices. St. Mary’s has 2,300 people present at Masses each weekend, and 750 children in grades one through seven attend religious education classes.
Washingtonville, New York
- Historic Renovation